We’re all social creatures, or as David Brooks put it “Social Animals.” We are highly influenced by the people around us, our friends, family and coworkers.
That is why Jesus set up the Church, for us to build up one another according to God’s teaching and be able to live with, and influence one another to become more like Him.
This is how Dietrich Bonohoeffer put it in his great book Life Together:
“Christianity means community through Jesus Christ and In Jesus Christ. No Christian community is more or less than this.”
1. Christians need each other because of Jesus Christ.
- “God has willed that we should seek and find His living word in the witness of a brother, in the mouth of man.”
- “The community of Christians springs solely from the Biblical and Reformation message of the justification of man through grace alone; this alone is the basis of longing of Christians for one another.”
2. Christians come to one another only through Jesus Christ
- “Christ became the Mediator and made peace with God and among men. . . . Christ opened up the way to God and to our brother.”
- “Only in Jesus Christ are we one, only through him are we bound together.”
3. In Jesus Christ we have been chosen from eternity, accepted in time, and united for eternity.
- “If, before we could know and wish it, we have been chosen and accepted with the whole Church in Jesus Christ, then we also belong to him in eternity with one another.”
- “He who looks upon his brother should know that he wil be eternally united with him in Jesus Christ.”